Lake City Game Creators Forum Index

<  HOBOKIN Project  ~  Hobokin Board Game

Shayz
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 08 Nov 2007 Posts: 326
Wireboy and I came up with a bunch of ideas today about how we could turn the homeless idea into a board game. The setup is similar to clue in which there are 9 different areas on the board that you must explore in order to find resources. The idea is that you have 15 days until winter, and you need to collect enough food, clothing, and shelter items in order to survive. At the end, you total up your points and whoever has the most points wins.

The game is for 2-5 players.
You move by rolling dice.
If you land on an event space you must draw a card to see what will happen. Some events are good, most events are bad, and a few of them are either really good or really bad.
There are Day/Night cycles.
During the day, you may enter areas to access resources.
During the night, you have to get back to shelter or an alley.
At the end of the night, players not in alleys will have to draw an event card.

There are four types of resources. Only three are needed to survive:
Food - 5 points needed
Clothing - 3 points needed
Shelter - 8 points needed
Items - 0 points needed

Each resource card has a value. That value corresponds to how much trading power it has. You might already have enough clothing for the winter, so you can trade that item for someone else's food supply, or use it to buy something else.

More details coming soon.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Brigadier General Brigadier General
THIS IS AWESOME RIO!
I am so proud of how quickly you got this rolling!
Once you get the rough prototype done and we can test and tweak the gameplay, it would be great to get as many artists as possible generating styles for us to choose from... this wagon could definitely get more than just one person to the next party!

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
It was really Cameron's idea, but we had a pow wow to bring our ideas together and put it on paper.

The hardest part of making this game seems to be having everything make sense. For instance, you might not find a car tire or a shopping cart at a fast food joint. Same thing goes for finding food in an abandoned parking lot. Obviously the details will come later, but for right now they can be simplified to only include the type of item and its value.

If everything works out the way it should, I will be able to have something relatively playable during the next meeting.

Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 09 Sep 2007 Posts: 355 Location: Mah Fedora
the most daunting task i see with this is really thinking through some of the events and shelter cards.

the event cards have to be realistic, but not entirely ridiculous. it has to be fun, and sometimes fun and realistic don't always co-align.

Also, Thanks Rio for the Crediting!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shayz
Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
I will eventually add this post to the OP, but I need complete names (and/or nicknames) before I can do that. I have a horrible memory for names, and I should know you guys by now, but I'll most likely get them at the next meeting.

Project Manager: Rio Lacroix (Shayz)
Design: Cameron Brown (Wireboy)
Production: ___ ___ (Dragonspawn) and two others

Last edited by Shayz on Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be a party pooper but I can only grant up to 3 LAN Party passes on this project, so hopefully all 3 will contribute significantly to getting this done...
It is off to a late start with only 5 weeks left to complete and polish. It will also need to be photo-ready and uploaded to https://www.thegamecrafter.com/ by Jan 15th so that I can order it and have a copy here in time for the partay!

A crude paper/cardboard prototype should be done and tested well before then to make sure game-play is balanced and compelling...

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
We have 3 members working on this, alongide Cameron and myself for a total of 5 people. I'm more of a project manager, and I'm not really doing any work. Instead I'm helping to focus the ideas of everyone else in order to make the game interesting and fun to play. I'm also making sure that all members are working together and serious about working on this.

Then again, if I see certain people lacking in participation, I'm not going to let them get a free ride.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Shayz wrote:
We have 3 members working on this, alongside Cameron and myself for a total of 5 people...

So which 3 should get the party passes?
Rio + Cameron + ?

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 09 Sep 2007 Posts: 355 Location: Mah Fedora
im going to say the passes should go to the rest of the group, rather than rio or myself. while it is our project that we started, we've been to lans, we've done all that. i want to pass that on to the others.

i wont speak for rio, but ill give mine to one of the others in the group.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shayz
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
wireboy wrote:
im going to say the passes should go to the rest of the group, rather than rio or myself. while it is our project that we started, we've been to lans, we've done all that. i want to pass that on to the others.

i wont speak for rio, but ill give mine to one of the others in the group.

This was exactly what I was trying to say in my last post, but maybe it didn't come out as clear as I wanted. I'd give up my pass as well.

admin wrote:
Shayz wrote:
We have 3 members working on this, alongside Cameron and myself for a total of 5 people...

So which 3 should get the party passes?
Rio + Cameron + ?

Like I stated, we have 3 actual members working on this, so those 3 should get the passes. Cameron and myself aren't exactly members, but we choose to show up and help where we can.

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
so ...without Rio & Cameron this game wouldn't get made...
are either of you 2 doing an alternate project to get into the LAN?
... Rio's card game decks are being given out as prizes Crying or Very sad
I guess I will find out tomorrow who is really doing what

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I am working on the project with Rio and Cameron, i need some ideas of what to focus my time to work on. Im not to great with drawing. But i have a great imagination, and am willing to work on the other neccicary things to contribute towards this project... -Nate Very Happy

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I got the strong vibe now, especially with Cameron being in charge of the materials but not being here that this project may not reach completion in time...so PLEASE be working on an alternate project (Homeless or Simetra) if you are wanting to get into the next BIG LAN PARTAY!